Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ordination to High Priest

I am not usually the kind of person that feels comfortable writing about accomplishments or milestones in my life, and I am not all that comfortable now. Yes, those who know me would probably scoff and say something about being conceited or some such, but I really do feel a bit of guilt when I mention that I've been ordained to this or called to that. I have no problem telling people that I'm an amazing accountant. That is a little odd, isn't it?

Bottom line (since I have very little time): tonight my Uncle ordained me to the office of High Priest. It was an extremely moving and emotional experience and the blessing pronounced helped in ways that made me know that my Uncle was inspired (there was no way he could know about that which I privately struggle and yet those concerns were addressed in a very personal manner).

Since the Bishop asked me if I was ready to be ordained, I have studied the office of High Priest and I have been impressed by this holy calling and that others consider me worthy of it. The words of my Uncle (or, more appropriately, the words of my Father in Heaven spoken through my Uncle) confirmed to me that the Lord and Our Father consider me worthy of this office. And now I will live up to Their trust and fulfill the duties associated with being a High Priest. It is a little odd, but I actually feel different -- revitalized, more powerful, more holy since being ordained earlier tonight. During my drive back to work I could feel the calm power of the priesthood in me. It reminded me of when I was ordained an Elder and when I was baptized. These are cleansing ordinances for a man -- and they make him a man of God.

There is so much more that I feel, but cannot express in words tonight. I fear that if I don't write something, I will lose this opportunity to express myself. And thus I am sharing this very personal and holy moment with you. I do not write it here to boast, but just to make it known, if only to me, that tonight I felt the changing power of the love of our Father in Heaven and His Son, our Savior.

2 comments:

Ms. Julie said...

It doesn't look like boasting to me. You have been given a great blessing, and I can tell you are extremely grateful for it.

I'm excited for you. What a tremendous calling!

Home to Energy said...

It definitely was a special night. The blessing was powerful and touching. And I thought you looked different afterward, too. I could tell it touched you in a very personal way that no one (except maybe your wife) could comprehend. Thanks for inviting us. It was a great way to start our week. And my boys got to learn about something that I could never adequately teach them by myself. Congrats on this new part of your life. I'm very happy for you!