Friday, June 26, 2009

I Must Be Old Now

When the pop idols of your youth are dead have you crossed over into old age? Granted, both Michael and Farrah were killed by disease and not old age, but I still felt a twinge of ancient history as I explained to my much younger associates yesterday about the years of Farrah being the hottest pin-up of the 70s and Michael once being black, good looking, and talented (not that his talent ever really wained, but he was more infamous than famous of late).

I do wish their families condolences. There are children and loved ones left behind and that is always sad, regardless of what you felt about the individual. I'm sure that there will stories and too much rehashing of these two idols' lives over the next few weeks and months. That seems to be what grieving people do -- either venerate or destroy the memories of the dead.

For me, I'm just feeling old and tired. Maybe I should put on my Thriller album (yes, I said "album", not CD), have my wife put on a blond wig, and dance like it is 1983.

Or maybe not.

4 comments:

Home to Energy said...

Already there is too much hashing about Michael's death. Sheesh, the stuff on the news is making me ill! Oh, and don't forget Ed McMahon. He died a couple days before Farrah.
Hey, if you rock out to "Thriller", will you take pictures? ;)

The Accounting Man said...

And just after I wrote this post, Billy Mays (of Infomercial fame) also died. Granted, Ed was old and Farrah was ill, but it looks like Michael and Billy were victims of that "men's hearts will fail them" passage in the scriptures.

There are no pictures on this site, dancing or otherwise. I don't expect that to change.

The Accounting Man said...

Besides, it's difficult to take a picture of yourself dancing. :)

necrodancer said...

Dance!

It's interesting how many celebrities are dying all at once. . . You did not mention Karl Malden, who also died this last week. The Streets of San Francisco, that Street Car Named Desire and American Express will never be the same.

Age, or how we feel about it, is something rather set on perspective. Lately, I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time in Rehabilitation Facilities, Hospitals and other such places. I've had a lot of time to think about this. I feel older some days than others.

At times, it seems it would be better to just drop dead suddenly rather than stretch it out, even if you haven't had the chance to live a long life.